Free Downloadable Computer Software Resume Templates and Expert Writing Tips
- Featured In:
Table of Contents
- Best Free Downloadable Resume Templates for Computer Software Jobs
- 9 Computer Software Resume Examples
- What Can You Earn as a Computer Software Professional?
- Top Computer Software Skills for Your Resume
- Best 5 Certifications for Your Computer Software Resume
- Improve Your Writing Speed With a Resume Builder
Here are more resources that can help you
Every office needs a computer software specialist, whether a Java or SQL developer, to keep programs, apps and websites running. We’ll guide you through showcasing your abilities in Java programming, .NET framework and database handling with the help of our downloadable resume templates.
Best Free Downloadable Resume Templates for Computer Software Jobs
Lists of ExpertiseThis two-column layout offers an organized and balanced design where you can showcase first your skills — like databse programming and API design knowledge — and your summary statement.
Skills HighlightThis contemporary-style template has skills bars where you can specify your level of expertise in abilities such as data extracting, quality assurance testing and application design. Make sure you also add descriptions of accomplishments in your work history to have a balanced resume.
Bright BlueWith an eye-catching colorful design, you can be sure this template will make your resume stand out from the applicant pool. Craft a strong summary statement and then focus on a detailed work history that zeroes in on achievements related to implementing back-end testing systems or troubleshooting.
AristocraticA simple resume template with lots of white space that gives off a clean look, ideal for any computer software professional. Showcase your soft, hard and technical skills first with this template so employers know you're aware of the current computer software trends.
Highly ProficientA no-fuss design makes this template easy to customize with skills and accomplishments that showcase your computer software knowledge — for example, debugging, improving code and developing QA test cases.
TextureYou can include plenty of text on this resume template without it looking crowded thanks to its light color scheme and simple design. The addition of skills bars to pinpoint your expertise level provides more insight into your abilities as a computer software professional.
What Can You Earn as a Computer Software Professional?
The need for computer programmers and web developers is always on the rise, which sparks the question of the average industry rate earned by a computer software professional.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics in 2020 calculated the median annual wage earned by a computer software specialist in different industries.
Top Computer Software Skills for Your Resume
Since work experience tends to be an applicant’s priority when writing their resume, skills are sometimes sidelined for seeming insignificant and repetitive. However, skills play a deciding factor in the recruitment process if you display them appropriately. You can list the hard, soft and technical skills in your resume in the following sections:
- Professional summary: It is important to list at least one or two skills in the professional summary. A computer programmer would mention their knowledge of debugging, deployment and QA testing and their coding language skills to accentuate their versatility in the field. Similarly, a web developer would also mention their proficiency in Python and Java to showcase their expertise.
- Skills section: The skills section could have six to eight skills in a bulleted list. A software developer proficient in using SQL to update and modify tables could mention database handling skills, among others.
To give you some ideas about the skills you could mention as a computer software professional, we curated a list of soft, hard and technical skills:
Soft skills are necessary for all facets of life and work because they allow you to efficiently work with others and behave professionally in any work environment. The following are a few soft skills for computer software professionals:
- 1. Attention to detail
- 2. Conflict management
- 3. Organizational skills
- 4. Time management
- 5. Leadership skills
- 6. Active listening
- 7. Active learning
- 8. Strong work ethic
- 9. Creativity
- 10. Communication skills
Hard skills are the product of training, education or on-the-job practice. These skills are particular to the job, meaning only professionals in computer software or similar industries will have them. Some common hard skills for computer software professionals are:
- 1. Programming languages
- 2. Modifying databases
- 3. Testing programs
- 4. Debugging
- 5. Using virtual environments
- 6. Building algorithms
- 7. Troubleshooting errors
- 8. Using different frameworks
- 9. Fast typing speed
Technical skills are essential for a computer software professional. This includes the foundation of this profession: knowledge of programming languages. As such, some of these technical skills are:
- 1. Python
- 2. Java
- 3. HTML
- 4. .Net Framework
- 5. PHP
- 7. Android SDK
Best 5 Certifications for Your Computer Software Resume
An average web developer learns the necessary methods and skills to design a webpage on the job. However, as competition rises, it’s better to hone skills even further and develop more diverse ones as well. Certification courses are a cost-effective way of immediately gaining the skills needed to stand out from your competitors. A few of these courses are:
- Adobe Certified Expert (ACE) for Developers
- Certified Secure Software Program Lifecycle Professional (CSSLP)
- Google Apps for Business Certified Deployment Specialist (CDS)
- Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP)
- Certified Data Professional (CDP)
What are the top three skills of a computer software professional?
The top three skills of a computer software professional vary with each specialization. However, the below-mentioned soft skills are common throughout the industry:
- Attention to detail
- Problem-solving skills
- Organization skills
What do computer software professionals mention under a summary statement?
A good summary statement gives a concise summary of the candidate's skills and goals. It's necessary to highlight your skills in a summary since it’s the first section recruiters see. A desirable statement would include the following:
- Mention how you can fulfill the hiring company's needs by identifying their demands and providing examples of solutions.
- Mention the skills which are listed on the job description — if you truly have those skills, that is — to grab recruiters’ attention and demonstrate you're capable of doing the job.
- Mention a programming language required for the position.
What are examples of duties expected in a computer software role?
A computer software professional's duties include more than simply programming. There are multiple tasks that a professional in this field needs to do, some of which include:
- Modifying and updating databases
- Testing and debugging programs
- Building and using virtual environments
- Creating and using different frameworks
- Troubleshooting errors in compiling programs
Rate our Templates