Free Downloadable Cosmetology Resume Templates and Expert Writing Tips
- Featured In:
Table of Contents
Here are more resources that can help you
- Resume Styles
- Best Resume Template
- Professional Resume Template
- Basic Resume Template
- Simple Resume Template
- Creative Resume Template
- Portfolio Resume Template
- Infographic Resume Template
- Contemporary Resume Template
- Modern Resume Template
- ATS Resume Template
- One-Page Resume Template
- Google Docs Resume Template
- OpenOffice Resume Template
- CV Template
- Biodata Resume Template
- Pages Resume Template
- Writer Resume Template
- Student Resume Template
- High School Student Resume Template
- Internship Resume Template
- Entry Level Resume Template
- Massage Therapist Resume Template
- Medical Assistant Resume Template
- Cashier Resume Template
- BabySitter Resume Template
- Customer Service Template
- Attorney Resume Template
- Customer Service Representative Resume Template
- Teacher Resume Template
- Engineering Resume Template
- Nurse Resume Templates
- Personal Support Worker
- Federal Resume Template
- Latex Resume Template
- College Student Resume Template
- High School Graduate Resume Template
Ever wanted to help others change their image? Cosmetology plays a determining role in how the perception of beauty is evolving. The cosmetology industry includes wide-ranging skills in specialized domains of hair care, skin care, makeup and cosmetics. Create a competitive resume for this field with our career-specific resume examples, downloadable templates and role-specific skills.
Best Free Downloadable Resume Templates for Cosmetology Jobs
Blue popThis resume template uses individual, blue boxes to clearly distinguish between your resume sections. It’s an eye-catching design that’s also neatly organized, making it perfect to apply for roles in cosmetology.
Call outThis template features a colorful column on the right to highlight your name. The sections are aligned to the left, divided by lines and identified with yellow font to easily scan through the details in the resume. Use this template to make a lasting impression without taking value away from your qualifications.
Color contrastUse this resume template to apply to a role where you need to prove you’re creative and organized. With its columns and pops of color, you can easily draw attention to your most qualifying details.
Keep it simpleSimple blue lines help mark the end of one section and the beginning of another in this resume template. This design is perfect to keep the focus exclusively on your career details without sacrificing the use of color.
PerformanceIf the company you’ll be applying for values sophistication and simplicity above all else, this resume template is for you. Instead of using color to distinguish between sections, it organizes your details with lines and a professional font.
Pretty in pinkThick, pink boxes mark each section of this resume template, making it ideal for exhibiting a delicate feminine aesthetic. Having the only instances of color be in the name of each section, however, keeps the focus of the recruiter on your qualifications.
9 Cosmetology Resume Examples
A resume is a prerequisite to landing a job and each resume format is unique, highlighting a different aspect of your professional identity in the eyes of recruiters. The three most common formats are chronological, functional and combination, each emphasizing your professional skills and work expertise differently.
Read on to learn more about the best format you can use when seeking a job in cosmetology.
A chronological resume is perfect for those who have a long and rich cosmetology career of over 10 years. A chronological resume underlines your professional accomplishments, duties and skill set by showcasing your competencies in your previous roles.
The following resume example will demonstrate how chronological resumes can be utilized:
1. Cosmetology instructor: Leah Parks uses this chronological resume to emphasize her career progression and over 10 years of experience as an instructor. Use this template to showcase your career progression in this clean and elegant template.
2. Cosmetology assistant professor: This chronological resume template features a pop of color that separates each section. Show your professionalism, experience and aesthetic flair with this template, just as Kristin Gutierrez has done in the above example.
3. Services manager: Yolanda Larson leveraged the chronological resume format to display her career progression from being a hairstylist into a salon manager. Showcase your own progression and years of experience with this template.
Unlike the chronological resume, the combination resume stresses skills and work history simultaneously, which can prove a great asset for impressing hiring managers. If you have a consistent work history with less than 10 years and industry-recommended skills, then the combination format is perfect for you.
These resume examples will provide clarity on how to utilize this format:
1. Cosmetologist: Yolanda Larson uses the combination format to showcase the strong skill set she’s developed in her over seven year long career, allowing her to balance her profile. Leverage this feature by downloading this resume template and substituting the preloaded text with your credentials.
2. Nail technician: This resume format allows Alice Wells to detail the skills that make her an excellent fit for the role, while also delving into her extensive experience. Showcase your rounded profile by downloading this resume template and filling it out with your career details.
3. Waxing specialist: This neatly organized combination resume highlights Shane’s skills and work history alike. The color shades delineate each section in this resume template neatly, making it easy and appealing for recruiter’s to read quickly.
The functional resume is perfect for professionals starting their careers, applying for entry-level positions and inexperienced individuals. This resume stresses your skills and qualifications to overshadow your limited work experience.
While it may offer you a fighting chance if you have no experience, some functional resume formats are not compliant with the applicant tracking system (ATS) and could jeopardize your chances of your skills reaching the eyes of human recruiters.
Check out the following resume examples to understand the utility of the functional format:
1. Barber: Hector leverages the functional resume format to showcase his role-relevant skills, regardless of having limited experience as a barber. By demonstrating he can do the job well thanks to his skills, this format allows him to get a fighting chance, even if he doesn’t meet the experience requirement for the barber role he’s after.
2. Hairstylist: Cristina neatly laid out her relevant hair styling skills in this functional resume format. If you don’t have too much experience or are recently graduated, use this resume template to display your job-relevant skills for the job.
3. Makeup artist: Alven Lindsay went deep into the skills that match the makeup artist’s role he’s after with this functional resume format. Notice how he leveraged this format to draw attention away from the fact that he was working for himself for a few years prior to applying to the new role by detailing what makes him qualified.
What Can You Earn as a Cosmetology Professional?
Before you decide on the cosmetology industry or any of its specializations, it’s helpful to know the salary you can earn. Your pay is determined by your role, experience level, skill set and industry, but tends to vary between $10 to $25.
Based on data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median wages on specialization fields are as follows:
Top Cosmetology Skills for Your Resume
Skills are vital in asserting your competence, expertise and abilities in any given role. You may add your skills in any of the following sections of your resume, making sure to include a balanced mix of soft, hard and technical skills:
- Opening Statement: While writing your summary statement or career objective, you can include two or more professional skills associated with the role. For instance, a cosmetologist can mention their hair coloring, skin care and makeup expertise. In comparison, a makeup artist can stress their specialized expertise in applying makeup to eyes, lips or face and ability to handle a diverse clientele.
- Skills Section: This section provides a complete list of your professional skills (preferably six to eight). For instance, a makeup artist can list skills like reliability, adaptability to customers’ demands, social skills, eye palette knowledge and customer-based service.
- Work History: Here, you can mention how you applied your diverse skill set in the workplace and refined it over the years. Suppose you’ve worked as an esthetician, your job description can mention how you utilized “skin care treatment to treat patient’s breakouts while providing customers with personalized service.”
We have gathered a list of soft, hard and technical skills relevant to the cosmetology profession to help you ensure you include a variety of the different skill types.
Soft skills are essential for any role irrespective of the industry. It reflects your personality traits and interpersonal skills, deciding how you interact with the employer, co-workers and customers. Soft skills are highly relevant in the cosmetology industry as they directly impact customer relationships and services. Here are a few soft skills required for cosmetology professionals:
- 1. Excellent communication ability
- 2. Attentive listening skills
- 3. Reliable and trustworthy
- 4. Adaptable to customer's needs
- 5. Patience
- 6. Relationship building ability
- 7. Good hygiene
- 8. Physical stamina to work long hours
- 9. Attention to details
- 10. Social and outgoing
Hard skills represent the skills gained through training and education, enabling you to perform role-specific duties and responsibilities. Your hard skills fluctuate with your expertise and experience level. We have accumulated the following hard skills dominant in the cosmetology profession:
- 1. Skin care treatment techniques
- 2. Hair coloring, styling and care
- 3. Manicure and pedicure
- 4. Knowledge of different cosmetic products on the market
- 5. Makeup skills (eyes, face, lips or body)
- 6. Waxing
- 7. Hair treatment
- 8. Cosmetology knowledge
- 9. Facials
- 10. Hair grooming and cutting
Technical skills represent your ability to utilize technological resources and tools for your role. Cosmetology professionals rely on the following technical skills:
- Proficiency in tools of their trade, such as using specialized laser hair removal machines, hair trimmers and vapor machines.
- Social media marketing to promote their services on Instagram, Facebook and others.
- Microsoft Office including PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook.
- Payments systems like PayPal, PayWave and e-wallets to charge for services.
- Scheduling software for appointments like Google Calendar, Schedulicity and Rosy.
Best 5 Certifications for Your Cosmetology Resume
Certifications come in handy for any cosmetology profession to enhance your expertise, domain knowledge, credibility and competence. You can include role-enhancing certificates in your resume to increase your chances of getting hired. We have included some certificates for different cosmetology roles to get an idea of the options available out there:
National Esthetician Certificate
Provides knowledge into the latest technologies and services in the trade, advancing the services that an esthetician can provide to their customers.
Certificate in Skin Therapy
Provides training and instruction on facials, hair removal, and spa ecology, among many other topics on skin care.
Professional Barber Certificate
Recognizes a barber’s aptitude for the trade and provides better opportunities in the job market.
This curriculum is designed to present students with the essential knowledge needed in the field of cosmetology and prepare them to pass their licensing exam.
Professional Makeup Artist Certificate
Encompasses the basic skills of the makeup industry.
Improve Your Writing Speed With a Resume Builder
Speed up your resume creation with our Resume Builder, a reliable tool armed to meet your individualized needs. Our resume builder focuses on the section-wise requirements of resumes by providing job-based content, suggestions/ tips for each section, expert-designed resume templates and ample online storage to save your resume. You can build your document on our page and download it afterward to store in your personal devices.
This simple layout features a traditional font and the clever use of section borders to help each section of your resume stand out.
This distinctive two-column resume template identifies your name and professional experience in a bold color and clean presentation.
A clever design that breaks each of your professional accomplishments into distinct sections while following a format that will pass applicant tracking systems.
The elegant initials, simple header and strategic use of bullet points in this template help keep your professional accomplishments well-organized.
The bold use of a colorblocked heading paired with an elegant resume layout helps your name and contact information stand out.
This structured design combines a two-column approach with bullet points to highlight your key accomplishments and professional history.
A traditional template uses a crisp combination of dark text and thin borders to radiate professionalism. Your name sits prominently above your professional history.
This template’s design features plenty of whitespace neatly divided by gray bars to make the information on your resume easy to read for employers.
This two-column resume conveys a very clear breakdown of its sections that allows a hiring manager to quickly scan your resume.
The subtle color accents in this template add visual pizzazz in a classy way, a great option for most traditional industries.
This resume’s modern design and bold use of color make it pop. Its uniqueness is well-suited to those seeking jobs in creative industries.
Everything about this template is assertive from the boxy layout to its all-caps heading text that gives the impression that you’re all about business.
The understated contact information at the top puts attention front and center on your professional summary, skills, work experience and education sections.
The subtle use of red alongside black gives this template a bold feel while still featuring plenty of white space to make it easy to read.
What are the top three soft skills of cosmetology professionals?
Cosmetology professionals work closely with their clients, taking care of their numerous needs. Given the nature of their profession, the top three soft skills include the following:
- Impeccable customer service
- Patience and adaptability to customers' demands
- Hygiene and physical stamina
What do estheticians mention under a summary statement?
The summary statement of estheticians briefly describes their skills and experience in cosmetology and how these can benefit the potential employer. They can mention their expertise in body contouring, cellulite treatment or laser skin treatments. They can also mention their leadership and customer retention abilities.
What are examples of duties of a cosmetology professional?
The primary duties and responsibilities of a cosmetology professional include:
- Hair care, coloring, trimming, styling and treatments for healthy hair.
- Performing skin care through massage, chemical treatments and laser technology.
- Keeping the workplace (spa or salon) tidy and hygienic for customers.
- Recommend products for customers based on their individualized needs.
Rate our Templates