Cosmetology Resumes: Overview
Cosmetology professionals provide a range of beauty services, from hair styling and makeup application to nail care and skin-care treatments.
There are many different career options within the cosmetology sector, with some of the most popular professions being:
- Nail Technician
- Makeup Artist
To excel in cosmetology, professionals should possess strong interpersonal skills, creativity, and attention to detail. Additionally, they must typically complete formal training at a cosmetology school and pass an exam to earn a state-issued license.
Use our cosmetology resume examples to win over prospective employers by showcasing these qualities and qualifications. For more help, browse through our rich collection of professional resume examples and downloadable resume templates to create a resume to help you get your next job in cosmetology.
Cosmetology Professor Resume Example
This exemplary cosmetology resume example is a quality benchmark and offers valuable inspiration on both content and design fronts for enhancing your resume.
Design elements like capitalization and bolding create a visual hierarchy that emphasizes important information and directs the eye to specific details.
Captivating Professional Summary:
A concise but convincing summary statement at the top of the resume introduces the candidate’s key cosmetology strengths and qualifications, giving potential employers a sense of what she can offer right off the bat.
Pops of Color:
Tasteful touches of color draw attention to section headings, showcase the candidate’s aesthetic sensibilities, and make the resume visually appealing while still maintaining professionalism.
The candidate uses strong action verbs like “supervise” and “recruit” at the beginning of work history bullet points to make descriptions more engaging and convey a sense of proactivity and accomplishment in past roles.
Waxing Specialist Resume Example
A quick look at this cosmetology resume for a waxing specialist confirms that it’s a model example of writing, structuring, and designing a document that wows employers.
Rather than listing every detail of his professional background, the candidate tailors the resume to the specific needs of the employer, including only relevant information focused on his waxing expertise.
The graphic lines and different color shades draw in the reader and neatly delineate the resume sections, making it easy for hiring managers to navigate the document and find information quickly.
Professional Memberships Section:
The addition of an “Affiliations and Memberships” section over and above the five primary resume sections helps to enhance the candidate’s credibility and differentiate them from the competition by highlighting their commitment to the field.
The use of bulleted lists, which are much more reader-friendly than paragraphs, makes the information easy to scan and digest in a matter of minutes.
How to Write a Cosmetology Resume: A Step-by-Step Guide
A well-crafted cosmetology resume is your passport to a rewarding career in the beauty industry. Follow the steps below to create a standout resume that sells your value and unlocks new job opportunities. For more detailed guidance, look at our comprehensive resume writing guide.
Choose a Format:
The functional resume format is less common and not as ATS-friendly, however, it is good for those with less experience, like recent high school graduates, because it focuses on transferable skills. Finally, there is the combination resume format, which uses elements from both the chronological and functional approaches.
Begin your cosmetology resume with a clear contact information section including your full name, phone number, a professional email address, and location (city and state). You might also want to add links to relevant social media profiles, such as LinkedIn or Instagram, and other platforms showcasing your portfolio of work.
Summary or Objective:
Kickstart your resume with a powerful summary or objective statement. A resume summary, typically 2-3 sentences, highlights your relevant experience, skills, and what you bring to the role.
An objective statement outlines your career goals and how they align with the position you're pursuing. Choose the one that best suits your situation and customize it for each specific job application.
Start with your most recent job, working backward, and provide your job title, the establishment name, and your employment dates for each position. Detail your responsibilities and key contributions at each salon or spa where you’ve worked, focusing on accomplishments, like increased client retention, quantifying them when possible.
Your skills section should provide a quick snapshot of your abilities, showcasing what makes you a valuable asset in the world of beauty. Use bullet points to outline six to eight of your most relevant and impressive proficiencies.
Provide details about your educational background, which forms the foundation of your cosmetology expertise. Mention the name and location of the cosmetology school you attended, the title of your degree, diploma, or certificate, and your graduation date.
Additional Sections (optional):
If you have the space, consider adding extra sections to elevate your resume and make it even more appealing to potential employers. Examples of custom sections you could add include certifications and licenses, professional memberships, awards, languages spoken, and any relevant volunteer work or community involvement related to cosmetology.
Key Skills For Cosmetology Resumes
To beat out the competition in job applications, you must show you have the right mix of cosmetology skills. Discover some of the top hard and soft skills to feature on your resume and be a top candidate in cosmetology.
Top 5 Hard Skills for Cosmetology Resumes
- Hair Styling: Expertise in cutting, coloring, and styling various hair types ensures you can remain versatile when meeting client’s hair care needs.
- Makeup Artistry: Proficiency in makeup application for different occasions, face shapes, and skin tones supports aspirations to become a sought-after makeup artist.
- Nail Care: The ability to administer nail treatments like manicures and pedicures demonstrates a commitment to providing comprehensive beauty services.
- Knowledge of Skincare Techniques: Competence in treatments like facials, extractions, and chemical peels equips you to improve clients’ skin health and general appearance.
- Software Proficiency: Familiarity with scheduling software and payment systems helps you to manage appointments and charge for services.
Top 5 Soft Skills for Cosmetology Resumes
- Communication: Excellent oral communication and active listening skills are crucial in understanding clients’ preferences and building lasting relationships.
- Creativity: Creative flair and original thinking support your ability to offer clients innovative beauty and grooming services unavailable elsewhere.
- Customer Service: The ability to provide exceptional, personalized service to customers that exceeds expectations contributes to improved client retention and positive reviews.
- Time Management: Being adept at prioritizing tasks and using time efficiently supports punctuality and ensures you complete services on schedule, enhancing customer satisfaction.
- Adaptability: Being adaptable and open to learning helps to keep your skills relevant and in demand in the ever-evolving beauty industry
Key Certifications for Cosmetology Resumes
Certifications can also make a big impact on your cosmetology resume. Consider these popular certifications when writing your resume.
Top 5 Certifications for Cosmetology Resumes
- National Esthetician Certification – NCEA Certified: Offered by the National Coalition of Estheticians Association, this credential validates your training and expertise as an esthetician, enhancing your credibility.
- Board Certified Haircolorist: This designation identifies you as an expert haircolorist who meets established standards of excellence and has in-depth knowledge of hair coloring techniques.
- Professional Barber Certification: The American Barber Association’s respected credential honors licensed barbers who display high levels of professionalism.
- Professional Makeup Artist Certification: This certification verifies knowledge of basic and commercial makeup application techniques, tools, and principles.
- Laser Hair Removal Certification: This technical certification is required for laser hair removal technicians in many states and confirms that you’ve been trained to use laser equipment for beauty purposes safely.
Here’s What People Are Saying About Us
10 Tips For Writing A Cosmetology Resume
- Emphasize Technical Skills: Success in cosmetology relies heavily on specific technical skills. Clearly outline industry-specific competencies and mention any specialized equipment you’re proficient in.
- Include Portfolio Links: If you have a portfolio or have published photographs of your work online, you can visually demonstrate your artistic abilities and the quality of your services.
- Add Concrete Evidence: Include numbers and metrics to add substance to your accomplishments and make them more impressive and convincing.
- Highlight Customer Service Skills: Emphasize your client-centric approach, communication skills, and how you create a positive and comfortable atmosphere for your clients.
- Showcase Continuing Education: List certifications you’ve earned and mention any advanced courses, seminars, workshops, or additional training you’ve completed, to demonstrate your commitment to cosmetology.
- Use Industry Keywords: Incorporate terminology to demonstrate your expertise. Doing so will make your resume more relevant and tailored to the job position, helping you stand out with employers and applicant tracking systems (ATS).
- Demonstrate Adaptability: The cosmetology field is always evolving, so showcase your ability to adapt to new trends and techniques.
- Choose a Simple Layout: Use a clean, uncomplicated design for your resume, as it allows your skills, qualifications, and experiences to take center stage.
- Include a Visually Appealing Header: Position your name and contact information in an eye-catching header at the top of your resume – this simple design element can leave a strong first impression.
- Seek Feedback: Don’t hesitate to ask a trusted colleague or mentor to review your resume. They can provide valuable feedback and suggest improvements based on their experience and expertise in the field.
Save Time With Hloom's Resume Builder
Tailor your resume to your specific cosmetology niche and the requirements of the job you’re applying for, including only relevant information.
Alongside your technical skills, also highlight strong interpersonal skills, creativity, attention to detail, and a commitment to lifelong learning.
List relevant certifications and affiliations to differentiate yourself in the cosmetology field and enhance your credibility as a trusted professional and expert in your area.
Keep the design of your resume simple, with tasteful pops of color and attention to visual hierarchy, to draw attention to important information and ensure the focus remains on the content.
Refer to strong resume examples for cosmetologists and other beauty professionals to get valuable inspiration for both the content and design aspects of your resume.
Save Time With Hloom's Cover Letter Builder
Cosmetology Resume FAQ
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, “Barbers, Hairstylists, and Cosmetologists,” Occupational Outlook Handbook, September 2023.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, “Manicurists and Pedicurists,” Occupational Outlook Handbook, September 2023.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, “Skincare Specialists,” Occupational Outlook Handbook, September 2023.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, “Skincare Specialists,” Occupational Outlook Handbook, September 2023.