Free Downloadable Accounting Resume Templates and Expert Writing Tips
- Featured In:
Table of Contents
Here are more resources that can help you
The maintenance and regulation of financial transactions rely on qualified individuals like appraisers, auditors and accountants due to their great attention to detail and excellent analyzing skills. These specializations need to be appropriately reflected on your resume to grab the recruiter’s attention. We’ve created job-specific resume examples in customizable templates to help you craft the perfect resume.
Best Free Downloadable Resume Templates for Accounting Jobs
AdvertiseThe resume template above can be easily downloaded and customized using any word processing software. Move the sections around and change the resume’s structure to fit your content appropriately.
Bar ChartThis unique resume template works well for an accounting professional as it specifies the expertise in a subject using a bar chart. Customize the colors on this template to make your content pop out.
BlocksThis standard template dedicates areas for each section of the resume. Paired with writing tips for each part of the resume, you can use them as a guide to craft an interview-ready resume.
Column MixThe resume above has a loose structure with no defined headings. The entries of each section are divided into columns, with a focus on aesthetics rather than detailed information.
List of ExpertiseThe template above uses a classic format with emphasis on the skill section, covering the entire right column of the resume. The blue-green design combination is interchangeable on a word processor of your choice.
MarqueeIn this free downloadable resume template, your skills are the stars of the show. Match them to the job posting skills and let them wow recruiters.
What Can You Earn as an Accounting Professional?
An accounting team is necessary to run any business and comprises various roles, all suited to handle specific tasks. This makes it difficult to determine an accounting professional’s wage as they vary across positions. However, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average salaries of accountants and auditors in different industries across the United States are as follows:
Top Accounting Skills for Your Resume
All resumes need a skills section which highlights your abilities to fulfill the responsibilities of your role. Make sure that you add a good mix of soft, hard and technical skills throughout your resume in the following sections:
- Professional Summary: Enhance the opening statement or the professional summary of your resume by mentioning a soft skill or a hard skill such as: "detail-oriented" or "prepared the annual business budget and forecasted company expenditure."
- Skills Section: This section must list six to eight of your top skills. They can include a variety of soft, hard and technical skills like communication, organized bookkeeping and proficiency in QuickBooks. Make sure not to repeat these skills in different sections.
- Work History: The section in your resume that can benefit the most with the addition of skills is the work history. Include hard skills specific to your job profile when writing your achievements and accolades. Pick these skills from the online job posting as recruiters search for resumes using their job description keywords.
We’ve compiled a list of the top accounting skills for each category that you can access below:
The skills that assess your sociability and work style are called soft skills. The top soft skills recommended for an accounting professional are:
- 1. Detail-oriented
- 2. Organizational skills
- 3. Strategic planning
- 4. Problem-solving
- 5. Communication skills
- 6. Multitasking
- 7. Critical thinking
- 8. Time management
- 9. Mathematical and deductive reasoning
- 10. Leadership skills
Hard skills are learned through education or professional experience. These comprise administrative tasks like writing records, bookkeeping, budgeting and planning events. Some common hard skills you can use in an accounting resume are:
- 1. Financial statement preparation
- 2. Financial report analysis
- 3. Company budgeting
- 4. Preparing invoices
- 5. Forecasting company expenditure
- 6. Policy renewal
- 7. Insurance management
- 8. Risk management
- 9. Bookkeeping
- 10. Payroll processing
Technical skills are the knowledge and abilities to perform tasks requiring mechanical or digital tools. An accounting professional has access to several applications to work on their job effectively. It may benefit your job search to include knowledge of standard accounting software on your accounting resume. Examples of these accounting programs include:
- 1. QuickBooks
- 2. Xero
- 3. FreshBooks
- 4. Microsoft Office
- 5. Oracle NetSuite ERP
- 6. Sage Business Cloud Accounting
- 7. Zoho Books
Best 5 Certifications for Your Accounting Resume
Certifications can help your accounting resume stand out from the rest of your competition. Below are a few accounting certifications that can add to your resume’s credibility:
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
What are the top three skills of an accounting assistant?
A professional working in the accounting department could be an auditor, appraiser or accountant. All these three professions require a different skill set to work efficiently. The top-recommended skills every accounting assistant must have are:
- Attention to detail
- Organizational skills
- Communication skills
What do accounting assistants mention under a summary statement?
A resume’s professional summary statement should display the candidate’s capability and experience in the field. To catch the recruiter’s attention, remember the following tips:
- Include one or two skills, preferably from the company’s job description.
- Identify the requirements for the job and mention how you can fulfill their needs.
- Describe instances or achievements that display your ability to perform well on the job.
What are examples of accounting duties?
An accounting team manages a company's finance and budgets its expenses accordingly. A few duties picked out from a few accounting jobs are:
- Preparing financial statements
- Analyzing the financial report
- Creating a company budget
- Preparing invoices
- Forecasting overall company expenditure
- Managing and updating company insurance
Rate our Templates