Free Downloadable Retail Resume Templates and Expert Writing Tips
- Featured In:
Table of Contents
The consumer-driven retail industry can’t function without store managers, clerks, and sales and retail associates. When deciding on your next retail role, emphasize your managerial skills, customer service expertise, sales skills and product knowledge. We’ll help secure your desired retail job through role-specific resume examples, downloadable templates and our list of top retail skills.
Best Free Downloadable Resume Templates for Retail Jobs
Great ExperienceThis simple yet visually striking resume has all the key sections you need to communicate your professional abilities. Download this template and customize it by inserting your skills, qualifications and professional summary.
List ExpertiseYou can customize this impactful resume design on your preferred word processing software. Put your skills in the limelight by placing them on the distinctive sidebar. Download and personalize this template to highlight your work expertise in the retail industry.
OffsetThis efficient resume design equally showcases your professional history and skills with each section clearly demarcated. Download and customize this template to underline the hard, soft and technical skills you’ve acquired through professional experience in the retail industry.
OvertureThis traditional yet effortless resume design puts your work history front and center. A seasoned retail professional would benefit from populating the work history section with quantifiable achievements. Download it and customize it on your favorite word processor.
People SayThis elegant resume design ensures that your abilities as a retail professional stand out by positioning the skills section before the work history. Download and personalize this template to align with your professional skills.
Personal BrandThis simple yet modern resume design allows you to showcase your experience, education and skills equally. Download and customize this template on Word or Google Docs and be ready to apply to any retail position.
What Can You Earn as a Retail Professional?
When you’re applying for a new role, it’s important to analyze your potential wages so you can organize your finances and plan accordingly. Your earnings will vary depending on your role, experience, specialization, location and the company.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the annual and hourly wages for different roles in the retail industry are as follows:
Top Retail Skills for Your Resume
Skills determine the strength of your resume, and they are essential in securing your desired role in the retail industry. Below you’ll find a list of resume sections where you can include skills:
- Professional summary: Include one or more skills while writing your brief professional summary. For example, cashiers may highlight their proficiency in customer assistance, billing and restocking merchandise. In comparison, retail associates may emphasize their customer relations, sales strategies and time-management skills.
- Skills Section: This section of your resume envelops your diverse skill set. Mention your skills (preferably six to eight) in a bulleted list. For example, if your desired role is retail manager, you can include skills like scheduling, employee training, POS system proficiency, staff management, leadership and inventory control.
- Work History: When describing your work experiences, include skills and keywords that will help specify your accomplishments even more. For example, a sales associate could mention "Utilized product knowledge and memorized daily promotions to accurately assist customers with their shopping experience"
To ease your journey, we’ve prepared a list of retail skills for your resume.
Soft skills are essential in any role as they help you work smoothly and communicate effectively with peers, customers and other staff. The following soft skills are necessary for any retail professional:
- 1. Interpersonal skills
- 2. Excellent communication skills
- 3. Active listening
- 4. Flexibility
- 5. Patience
- 6. Teamwork
- 7. Decisiveness
- 8. Helpfulness
- 9. Endurance
- 10. Friendly disposition
Hard skills represent the skills you've gained through training, education and practical experience which enable you to perform particular tasks. The hard skills of a retail professional vary according to your role’s scope. However, we’ve listed a few hard skills that will strengthen your retail resume:
- 1. Customer service and satisfaction
- 2. Billing and budgeting
- 3. Product knowledge
- 4. POS proficiency
- 5. Accounting skills
- 6. Business or store management skills
- 7. Marketing
- 8. Employee management and training
- 9. Problem-solving
- 10. Sales reporting
- 11. Vendor management
Technical skills describe your proficiency using the technologies and tools of your profession or industry. Retail professionals depend on the following technical skills:
- 1. Working knowledge of computers, tablets and laptops.
- 2. Microsoft Office (i.e., MS Excel, MS word, Outlook).
- 3. Social media knowledge for product promotion.
- 4. Proficiency in POS software.
- 5. Efficient in digital payment gateways.
- 6. Working knowledge of devices like printers, scanners and e-pens.
- 7. Database management.
- 8. Other basic IT knowledge.
- 9. Proficiency in account software like QuickBooks.
Best 5 Certifications for Your Retail Resume
Certifications have the power to enhance the credibility and worth of any role in the retail profession. Being professionally certified allows you to advance in your career and take on more responsibilities in your role. Depending on your position, you can opt for the following certifications:
- Certified Manager Certification (CM)
- Certified Sales Professional (CSP)
- Certified Advertising Specialist (CAS)
- Certificate course in Retail Management
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
What are the top three soft skills of retail professionals?
The top three soft skills in retail professions are dependent on factors like role expectation and experience. Regardless of role expectations, any retail professional should possess and include the following soft skills in their resume:
- Communication skills
- Friendly and welcoming disposition
What do retail managers mention under a summary statement?
As indicated earlier, your professional summary must contain your top qualifications for the job. For example, you could mention your years of experience, an impressive quantifiable achievement related to the job requirements, one or two top skills (try and match them to skills in your desired job's description) and a certification that can make you stand out from the applicant pool.
What are examples of duties of a retail professional?
Retail professionals perform an array of duties; some examples of these duties include:
- Client servicing and care
- Product knowledge and promotion
- Database maintenance
- Budgeting and billing operations
- Inventory restocking and control
- Store and staff management
Rate our Templates