10 Free Rent Receipt Templates
A RENT RECEIPT also known as RENTAL INVOICE is a document that records and proves rent payment(s). Different countries and states will have different regulations on rent receipts but even if it is not required by law to provide your tenants with a receipt, it is a good practice to provide one anyway. Should a dispute arise, keeping a record of all rental payments may help you in sorting out issues.
In the USA, many states will require landlords to provide tenants with a receipt. If your rental property is located in one of such states, then you are required to provide tenants with receipts, free of charge, whenever you are asked. This rule also applies to former tenants who can request receipts within one year from a moving out date.
Needless to say, both landlords and tenants should keep a copy of the receipt for their records.
What information should be provided on the receipt? Here is some key information you should include:
- Date of Payment
- The signature of the landlord (with or without company stamp)
- The address of the property being rented
- Tenant’s Name
- Rental period
- The amount received (this can be for rent, rent deposit, utilities, or any other amount received by the landlord)
- Landlord’s name (or name of the company)
Some rental invoices may also include:
- Method of payment (cash, credit card, cash or money order)
- “Paid by”, for situations where invoices are often paid by someone other than tenant
- “Received by”, for situations where someone other than the landlord receives the payment
- Balance due, for rentals where partial payment is accepted
Free rent receipt template
Basic rent receipt with key information. The template should be used for rentals where partial payment is accepted. Two receipts per page (copy for landlord and copy for tenant), and place for company stamp.
|PDF version: Free-Rent-Receipt-Template.pdf||30 KB • 5 downloads • ID 230|
Do’s and don’ts tips
- include fields for all required and necessary information in the rental receipt.
- include signature line(s).
- keep copies of all rental receipts for possible future questions about payments.
- provide a receipt for every monetary transaction, whether required or not.
- check state regulations for receipt requirements.
- use an invoice receipt, if a payment schedule is permitted over a period of time.
- match the correct rental receipt/rental invoice for the situation.
- give the lessee a signed photocopy; sign original to give them.
- charge extra for providing a complete, signed receipt.
- assume that no receipt is necessary even in casual agreements with friends.
- leave out “balance due” in a receipt for periodic payments.
- rely on a hand-written receipt to be valid in the case of a dispute, unless you can present a photocopy with signature(s).
Below, please find free templates we created. Some will require modification using Microsoft Word, Excel, Open Office, or Mac Pages / Mac Numbers. Others are ready to be printed and used. Templates that require no modification are available in PDF. They are ideal for small business owners, retailers, and private individuals who would like to sublet their property.
Printable Rent receipt
Another basic version of a rent receipt / rental invoice. Both editable version (Word) and printable (PDF) are provided.
|PDF version: Rent-Receipt-Template.pdf||39 KB • 1 download • ID 230|
Rental receipt in Excel
This receipt will save you a lot of time because it does all the work for you. Enter amount due and amount paid, and amount due is calculated automatically. Enter numeric amount received and it will be converted into words. Two worksheets: first with one receipt, and second with 3 receipts where two copies are automatically populated from information you enter into the first copy.
Rent Invoice in Excel
Automatic invoice to provide rental invoices. Different currencies are supported. Two worksheets: one receipt per page or three receipts per page where two are populated automatically with data entered into the first receipt on the page.
Simple rent invoice
Basic rent invoice with two copies per page. Neutral style to accomodate any type of rental business.
|PDF version: Simple-Rent-Invoice.pdf||21 KB • 916 downloads • ID 230|
Receipt Book Template
Create your own carbonless receipt book with this template. Each receipt features sections labelled Date, From, Receipt Number, Amount in figures and letters, Payment for, Rental period (to - from), Received by, Outstanding Balance due, and Signature.
|PDF version: Rent-Receipt-Book-Template.pdf||152 KB • 878 downloads • ID 230|
Minimal receipt design three per page
Minimal template design that can be used for any type of private or commercial lease.
|PDF version: Simple-rent-receipt-three-per-page.pdf||37 KB • 668 downloads • ID 230|
Sample Rent Receipt
Universal template that can be used for various rental businesses - just change a few fields if provided fields are too many / too few for your business.
|PDF version: Sample-Rent-Receipt.pdf||51 KB • 632 downloads • ID 230|
Property rent receipt
Page with two receipts on a single page and a tear-off line.
|PDF version: Property-rent-receipt.pdf||26 KB • 741 downloads • ID 230|
Check green design receipt
Check-like design with two receipts in a professionally-looking elegant table.
Rent Invoice for tax
This sample invoice is a document to justify payments made by a tenant during a certain period that can be used by tenant for tax purposes.