Free Printable Rent Receipt Templates
Rental Receipts for Landlords
While there are different rules and regulations among states and countries regarding rent receipts, it is always good practice for landlords to provide them to tenants. In the U.S., many states require landlords to provide tenants with rent receipts, free of charge, whenever they are requested. This rule may also apply to previous tenants who can request receipts within one year of having moved out.
You will need to review your state or country’s laws to verify if providing a receipt is mandatory or required only upon request by the tenant. Failure to provide rental receipts when it is required by law can result in the filing of complaints by the tenants to local authorities, and fines being assessed against you. Also note that, if you provided a rent receipt for a tenant’s check that was returned uncashed for any reason, you may still pursue collecting that rent.
Do’s for Providing Rental Receipts to Tenants
- Provide rental receipts if/as required by law in your country or state
- Keep each receipt for your records and in a safe place, if necessary
- Use a rent receipt template to help ensure all required and necessary information is complete and accurate
Don’ts for Providing Rental Receipts to Tenants
- Provide rental receipts prior to payment being made
- Fail to sign and/or include company’s official stamp
- Omit the remaining balance due when providing a receipt for periodic payments
- Size: 16 KB
- Downloads: 140136
- Download: zip and docx Download
Basic rent receipt with key information. The template should be used for rentals where partial payment is accepted. Two receipts per page (copy for landlord and copy for tenant), and place for company stamp.
|PDF version: Free-Rent-Receipt-Template.pdf||183 B • 31831 PDF version • ID 89347|
Rental Receipts for TenantsJust like you receive receipts for everyday purchases, such as groceries and gas, it is just as important, if not more so, that you receive a receipt from your landlord or property management company for payment of your rent. For most individuals, your monthly rent is one your highest expenditures, so being able to document proof of payment is important for many financial reasons. In addition, requesting a rent receipt is not only a wise financial move, it may be one of your tenant rights, depending on the state you live in.
Do’s for Receiving Rental Receipts from Your Landlord
- Immediately request a copy of your rental receipt once payment is made
- Keep a copy of each receipt for your records and in a safe place
- Ensure that all required and necessary information is complete and accurate
Don’ts for Receiving Rental Receipts from Your Landlord
- Accept rental receipts from unauthorized parties
- Forget to request additional items that are included in your rental payment be itemized to avoid disputes (e.g. utilities, cable, etc.)
- Wait to have any errors or inaccuracies corrected
- Size: 183 B
- Downloads: 58443
- Download: zip and docx Download
Another basic version of a rent receipt / rental invoice. Both editable version (Word) and printable (PDF) are provided.
|PDF version: printable-rent-receipt-pdf.pdf||183 B • 17522 PDF version • ID 89347|
Benefits of Keeping Your Rent ReceiptsKeeping your rental receipts is important for:
Verifying payments, particularly those made in cash. No matter how you make your rental payments, receipts should be provided and kept. However, rental receipts are especially important for tenants who pay in cash, since aside from receiving a cash receipt there is no other paper trail.
Tax credit– Some states provide tax credits for renters. Having your rental receipts ensures you can verify that payments were made, making your tax credit easier to claim in the event additional documentation is needed.
Credit reporting– Reporting rental payments that have been made on time and in full can help raise your credit score and demonstrate to lenders that you are trustworthy in paying your debts.
Rental history– When reviewing tenant applications, few factors are more important to landlords than your rental history. Having your rental receipts can help show that you have a positive payment history or can help you to dispute discrepancies that may appear on your credit report.
Dispute settlement– In the event there is a discrepancy regarding your rental payments (e.g. late, partial or no payment disputes), having a copy of rental receipts can help sort out and avoid possible issues, including late fees, evictions, and negative reports on your credit.
Help! I Am Unable to Obtain a Rental ReceiptIn cases where your landlord or property management company state they are unable to provide you with copies of rent receipts, it’s important that you verify whether they are legally obligated to do so. In the event you are unable to obtain a rental receipt, it is important that you explore other means of documenting your payments, such as:
- Making a copy of your canceled checks, or requesting copies from your bank
- Keeping a copy of your bank statements, showing either a digital version of the physical check or the check number, amount, and date it cleared your account
- Keeping the stub from money orders and cashier’s checks
- Using an online payment portal/system or rent receipt template you provide, if your landlord agrees
Information to Include on Rental Receipts
While the details provided on rental receipts may vary, the following information should always be included:
- Date of Payment
- Amount of Payment
- Name of Landlord (or name of the company)
- Signature of Landlord or Manager
- Tenant’s Name (and name of person who paid the rent, if different from the tenant)
- Tenant’s Address
- Rental Period
Other items that may be included on your rental invoice form may include:
- Method of payment (cash, credit card, money order, cashier’s check)
- Services or other fees included in the payment (e.g. utilities, security deposits, convenience fees)
- “Received by” for situations where someone other than the landlord receives payment
- “Paid by” for situations where invoices are paid for by someone other than the tenant
Rent Receipt Books vs. Rent Receipt TemplatesWondering whether you should you purchase a rent receipt book or use a rent receipt template? If so, here a few pros and cons to consider for both:
Rent Receipt Book
Rent Receipt Template
Free Resume Templates
Like bookkeeping and data entry, invoicing is a sought-after skill in many industries, from fashion to transportation to small businesses. You could start a new career, change your current one, or change industries. Before you start, work on your resume. Hloom also offers free resume templates with expert advice.
How to use a resume template?
Hloom’s resume templates are easy to use. Visit our Resume Builder:
- Answer a few prompts regarding your career and work experience.
- Customize a free resume template.
- If you already have a resume template, upload it and the builder will format it.
- Edit, add or remove sections to better suit your needs.
- Use the career expert recommendations as a guide throughout the process.
Free Rent Receipt Template Examples
Choosing the right rent receipt format for you will depend on several factors, including whether you are:
- A commercial or residential landlord
- A commercial or residential tenant
- A property management company manager
- Documenting a high number of payments
- Making or receiving rent payments on a weekly, monthly, quarterly, annual (or other) basis
- More comfortable using a printed or a digital form
- Looking for a standard or customizable form
- Using a Mac or Windows operating system
The rent receipt templates offered below are free to use and ideal for documentation of:
- Partial rent payments
- Rental payments made in different currencies
- Remaining or outstanding rental balances
- Private or commercial lease payments
- Rent payments eligible for tax deduction
Rental receipt in Excel
This rent receipt form in Excel will save you a lot of time because it does all the work for you. When you enter amount due and amount paid, the balance due is calculated automatically. Enter numeric amount received and it will be converted into words. There are two worksheets: the first one has one receipt. The second has three receipts where two copies are automatically populated from information you entered into the first worksheet.
Rent Invoice in Excel
Free receipt template with option for different currencies. There are two worksheets: one with one receipt per page and another with three receipts per page where two are populated automatically with data entered into the first receipt on the page.
Simple rent invoice
Basic rent invoice with two copies per page. Neutral style to accomodate any type of rental business.
|PDF version: Simple-Rent-Invoice.pdf||21 KB • 4843 PDF version • ID 89347|
Receipt Book Template
Create your own carbonless receipt book with this template. Each receipt features sections labelled Date, From, Receipt Number, Amount in figures and letters, Payment for, Rental period (to - from), Received by, Outstanding Balance due, and Signature.
|PDF version: receipt-book-template-pdf.pdf||183 B • 4671 PDF version • ID 89347|
Minimal receipt design three per page
Blank receipt form with minimal design - easy to use and appropriate for any type of private or commercial lease.
|PDF version: minimal-receipt-design-three-per-page-pdf.pdf||183 B • 4119 PDF version • ID 89347|
Sample Rent Receipt
Universal template that can be used for various rental businesses - just change a few fields if provided fields are too many / too few for your business.
|PDF version: Sample-Rent-Receipt.pdf||51 KB • 4120 PDF version • ID 89347|
Property rent receipt
A single page cash receipt template with two receipts and a tear-off line.
|PDF version: Property-rent-receipt.pdf||26 KB • 4391 PDF version • ID 89347|
Check green design receipt
Check-like design with two receipts in a professionally-looking elegant table.
Rent Invoice for tax
This sample invoice is a document to justify payments made by a tenant during a certain period that can be used by tenant for tax purposes.