Free Downloadable Copywriting Resume Templates and Expert Writing Tips
- Featured In:
Table of Contents
Here are more resources that can help you
- Resume Styles
- Best Resume Template
- Professional Resume Template
- Basic Resume Template
- Simple Resume Template
- Creative Resume Template
- Portfolio Resume Template
- Infographic Resume Template
- Contemporary Resume Template
- Modern Resume Template
- ATS Resume Template
- One-Page Resume Template
- Google Docs Resume Template
- OpenOffice Resume Template
- CV Template
- Biodata Resume Template
- Pages Resume Template
- Writer Resume Template
- Student Resume Template
- High School Student Resume Template
- Internship Resume Template
- Entry Level Resume Template
- Massage Therapist Resume Template
- Medical Assistant Resume Template
- Cashier Resume Template
- BabySitter Resume Template
- Customer Service Template
- Attorney Resume Template
- Customer Service Representative Resume Template
- Teacher Resume Template
- Engineering Resume Template
- Nurse Resume Templates
- Personal Support Worker
- Federal Resume Template
- Latex Resume Template
- College Student Resume Template
- High School Graduate Resume Template
Clear and concise copywriting goes a long way in deciding the fate of any written message. Convey your preparedness and top qualifications in your resume with these copywriting resume templates and examples. Find a copywriting position best suited to your abilities by highlighting your research, writing, creative thinking, problem-solving and interpersonal skills with our professionally-designed downloadable templates.
Best Free Downloadable Resume Templates for Copywriting Jobs
What people sayThis functional copywriting resume highlights your skills and follows the experience and education sections. The left-hand side lists all your professional references systematically. You can easily download this resume and customize it to suit your needs.
NeatThis resume has a simple design that emphasizes your core strengths while focusing on your critical accomplishments, like completing a client deliverable. You could customize this resume to make it stand out in an impactful way.
Icons and bulletsThis is a well-structured and cleanly formatted resume. It presents your achievements front and center, making it easy to highlight your various roles and responsibilities. We suggest that you personalize the style of this resume by making extensive use of bullet points to highlight your significant accomplishments
BloggingThis is an informational and concise resume, which resembles the basic structure of a blog page. The creative format and ease of browsing make it an attractive choice for experienced professionals. You can easily customize it to suit your requirements.
AdvertiseThis resume stands out with style. With a detailed “About Me” section, this resume aims to provide relevant information to prospective employers in an engaging format. Reformat each section as needed and customize them according to your needs.
9 Copywriting Resume Examples
Resumes shouldn’t be considered a one-size-fits-all document. Each applicant should focus more on finding a format that highlights their specific skills rather than trying to fit into a standard layout. There are three resume formats to suit any applicant’s profile: chronological, combination and functional.
Each of these formats has a different strategy for highlighting essential aspects of your copywriting skills and expertise. Below, you will find copywriting resume examples for each format and an explanation of how they work.
The functional resume is skills-based. It creates specialized sections to focus on the responsibilities and capabilities of an applicant, not solely on their work history. Because it downplays the work history section, this format is a practical option for recent graduates or candidates with no experience.
We strongly recommend that you use this resume to showcase your applicable copywriting and management skills for the following job openings:
1. Technical writer: A technical writer’s job focuses on transferring complex information more simply. The resume above allows you to highlight specific skills for this role, such as analytical thinking, creative thinking, problem-solving and technical documentation. You could easily modify this template to suit your requirements.
2. Journalist: Lowell Castillo focused on solid qualifications in the summary statement and summary of qualifications sections, and detailed the relevant skills that a journalist must possess. You can easily personalize this resume to include your writing, research and networking skills. Using this resume to downplay any career breaks or gaps is also ideal.
3. Freelance writer: This functional resume highlights the competence and qualifications of a freelance writer. A brief professional summary followed by a more detailed description of the relevant skills like content writing, inquisitive thinking and excellent time management make this resume an attractive choice for any freelance writer.
A combination resume, also called a hybrid resume, is designed to bring out the best features of both a functional resume and a chronological resume. In other words, it gives equal weight to your work experience and skills.
A combination resume helps showcase the most valuable information while downplaying career gaps. Adding a summary of qualifications provides a compressed description of your top credentials, which immediately captures the interest of the employer.
Use this resume to highlight your professional and educational qualifications for the following job openings:
1. Product marketing copywriter: This type of resume focuses on a product marketing copywriter's skills. Give this resume a try if you want to showcase a detailed work summary that mentions all your previous jobs and responsibilities.
2. Editorial assistant: Available in an easily customizable design, this editorial assistant’s resume exhibits administrative skills, creativity and excellent writing ability. You can readily include any internships or training programs to provide more value to your profile.
3. Editor: An editor plays a senior role in the copywriting industry and determines a publication's overall tone and style. The above resume focuses on previous work experience and emphasizes your relevant skills in an easy-to-format layout.
In a chronological resume, you organize the work history in reverse-chronological order, meaning you first list your current or most recent role and work backward. This type of resume works best for those with a rich work history longer than 10 years.
The chronological resume is the most widely known and used, so recruiters will naturally gravitate toward it, and applicant tracking systems (ATS) are programmed with this format in mind. You can be sure you opted for the safest choice with a chronological resume.
Some of the areas where the chronological resume is widely used are:
1. Technical writer: A technical writer is responsible for writing technical content in an easy-to-read style. Lee Schwartz has focused on his work history, followed by his educational background and other related certifications. The uncomplicated style of this resume aids you in displaying skills such as writing and interpreting technical information.
2. Editor: In addition to excellent writing skills, an editor needs good judgment and great interpersonal skills. Nancy has included specific examples of projects like developing an outstanding editorial strategy and creating a sophisticated and engaging business copy in this customizable resume.
3. Copywriter: A copywriter creates material for blogs, websites, products, print media, among many others. Israel Carroll has focused on the work history and details about each job in this resume. You can customize this template to build an attractive resume by balancing your technical expertise and significant achievements in the same frame.
What Can You Earn as a Copywriting Professional?
If you wish to carve out a career as a copywriting professional, it will help to know how much you can earn in this profession. Your experience, employer and job location could significantly impact your earnings.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, these are average national wages for the following copywriting industries-
Top Copywriting Skills for Your Resume
A well-curated skills section can increase your chances of getting that coveted job offer. You must showcase a balanced mix of soft, hard and technical skills across the following resume sections:
- Professional summary: A copywriter needs to have an eye for detail and an impressive vocabulary. The ability to create compelling but readable content is the hallmark of a copywriter. Save your most valuable skills for the professional summary, so your employer is readily impressed with your resume.
- Skills section: Highlight six to eight skills in bullet points on your primary skills section. For a copywriter, strong writing and communication skills, creative thinking and research skills, and technical expertise in various word processors are must-haves on your resume.
- Work history: Mention at least one skill for each role you list in your work history section. For example, “creating automated email campaigns,” “boosting the average landing page conversion,” or “developing content strategy and positioning” are highly relevant hard skills for all copywriting positions.
To strengthen your resume and help you accurately showcase your qualifications and skills, we compiled a list of the most frequently requested copywriting skills.
Soft skills combine social and communication skills that enable you to be an efficient team member. These skills help you perform better at the workplace and achieve your goals individually and collaboratively. As a copywriting professional, the following interpersonal skills are imperative:
- 1. Excellent verbal communication
- 2. Creative thinking
- 3. Time management
- 4. Decision making
- 5. Eye for details
- 6. Teamwork
- 7. Flexibility
- 8. Problem-solving
- 9. Interpersonal skills
Hard skills are the product of learning or on-the-job experience and are usually specific to a particular job or industry. As a copywriting professional, these skills include research, technical writing and SEO awareness. Below are a few skills that might strengthen your copywriting resume:
- 1. Content management
- 2. Strong grasp of grammar and punctuation
- 3. Document management
- 4. Good writing skills
- 5. SEO research and implementation
- 6. Topical research
- 7. Email marketing
- 8. Pay-per-click advertising
- 9. Conversion rate optimization
- 10. Interpret customer research
Technical skills are the highly specialized skills or knowledge used to perform practical tasks. As a copywriting professional, it is advisable to have the following technical skills:
- 1. Strong MS Office skills
- 2. Advanced MS Word skills
- 3. Strong SEO knowledge
- 4. Analytical skills
- 5. Good knowledge of User Experience (UX)
- 6. Sound knowledge of editing software
- 7. CMS (example WordPress, Squarespace)
- 8. FrameMaker and Sharepoint expertise
- 9. HTML and CSS
- 10. Strong knowledge of marketing funnel
Best 5 Certifications for Your Copywriting Resume
Although it is possible to learn copywriting on the job, some recognized certifications can add value to your resume. Some of these additional courses or certificates that can enhance your academic knowledge are:
Improve Your Resume with Hloom's Builder
Make your resume stand out by using our Resume Builder, with built-in templates, job-specific content suggestions, writing advice and unlimited online storage to accommodate each customized document. This tool will help you write a top-rated resume in less time than the average job seeker.
This simple layout features a traditional font and the clever use of section borders to help each section of your resume stand out.
This distinctive two-column resume template identifies your name and professional experience in a bold color and clean presentation.
A clever design that breaks each of your professional accomplishments into distinct sections while following a format that will pass applicant tracking systems.
The elegant initials, simple header and strategic use of bullet points in this template help keep your professional accomplishments well-organized.
The bold use of a colorblocked heading paired with an elegant resume layout helps your name and contact information stand out.
This structured design combines a two-column approach with bullet points to highlight your key accomplishments and professional history.
A traditional template uses a crisp combination of dark text and thin borders to radiate professionalism. Your name sits prominently above your professional history.
This template’s design features plenty of whitespace neatly divided by gray bars to make the information on your resume easy to read for employers.
This two-column resume conveys a very clear breakdown of its sections that allows a hiring manager to quickly scan your resume.
The subtle color accents in this template add visual pizzazz in a classy way, a great option for most traditional industries.
This resume’s modern design and bold use of color make it pop. Its uniqueness is well-suited to those seeking jobs in creative industries.
Everything about this template is assertive from the boxy layout to its all-caps heading text that gives the impression that you’re all about business.
The understated contact information at the top puts attention front and center on your professional summary, skills, work experience and education sections.
The subtle use of red alongside black gives this template a bold feel while still featuring plenty of white space to make it easy to read.
What are the top 3 skills of a copywriter?
The top three skills on your resume will depend on the role and company you’re applying to. Always study the job ad to determine which skills the employer values most. However, in a general sense, copywriters should possess the following top required skills on their resume:
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Creative thinking
- Strong research skills
What do copywriters mention under a summary statement?
The professional summary statement should showcase two to three essential skills mentioned in your desired role's job description. To increase the chance of your resume being shortlisted for the position, make sure you have done the following:
- Carefully examine the open job opportunity to identify its requirements.
- Highlight critical professional skills that match what appears on the job description — as long as you genuinely possess them, of course.
- List any certifications, relevant coursework or any impressive achievement that will undoubtedly capture a recruiter's attention.
What are examples of copywriting duties?
If you’re interested in pursuing a copywriting career, you need to know your potential daily responsibilities. Most copywriting responsibilities fall into the following categories:
- Write copy for various media like social, print and online.
- Edit and proofread all written work to ensure high editorial standards are met.
- Collaborate with multiple departments like creative, product and marketing to assess project needs.
- Work on campaigns to increase brand awareness.
- Liaise with clients through emails and phone calls to understand their requirements.
Rate our Templates